Search This Blog

Monday, November 21, 2011

Things Fall Apart

  Personally I really did not like this text. For some reason I just couldn't get into it and I didn't feel invested in the characters. However, while studying this in class I really enjoyed the presentations that we heard over the book. My favorite was the group that talked about this story in conjunction with The Edge of Darkness. I found that lesson incredibly interesting because I really had no idea that any of that had happened. It was very eye-opening to realize what so called "civilized" nations did to those the deemed "savage" or "uncivilized". It makes me feel a little bit ashamed because while I know that it wasn't the same, American's did similar things to the Native Americans. My next favorite presentation was that of the group that talked about the language. I thought that the way they presented their project helped me understand the book a little better. In answer to the question of how I feel about Okonkwo, I feel that while he could be a bit cruel he was a bit misunderstood and deep down good hearted. He followed his favorite daughter to the oracles cave even thought it was forbidden, which I think shows that he was actually a good person.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about not liking the text. There were great presentations that I enjoyed as well of this text.

    ReplyDelete